Extinct animals are species that no longer exist on Earth. They have completely died out, and their populations no longer persist in the wild or captivity. Extinction can occur due to various reasons, including natural causes, changes in the environment, competition from other species, human activities, or a combination of factors. Here are some examples of extinct animals:
- Dinosaurs: These prehistoric reptiles went extinct about 65 million years ago. They include well-known species like Tyrannosaurus rex, Velociraptor, and Triceratops.
- Dodo (Raphus cucullatus): The dodo was a flightless bird that inhabited the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean. It became extinct around the 17th century due to habitat destruction and hunting by humans.
- Passenger Pigeon (Ectopistes migratorius): The passenger pigeon was once one of the most abundant bird species in North America. However, due to overhunting and habitat loss, it went extinct in the early 20th century.
- Woolly Mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius): These large, hairy elephants roamed the Earth during the last Ice Age. Climate change and hunting by early humans are believed to be the primary causes of their extinction.
- Tasmanian Tiger or Thylacine (Thylacinus cynocephalus): The thylacine was a carnivorous marsupial native to Tasmania, Australia, and New Guinea. It became extinct in the early 20th century due to hunting, habitat loss, and disease.
- Quagga (Equus quagga quagga): The quagga was a subspecies of the plains zebra that inhabited South Africa. It was hunted to extinction for its meat and hide, and the last individual died in captivity in 1883.
- Great Auk (Pinguinus impennis): The great auk was a flightless seabird that inhabited the North Atlantic. It was heavily hunted for its feathers, meat, and eggs and became extinct in the mid-19th century.
- Saber-Toothed Cat (Smilodon): These iconic prehistoric predators had long, curved canine teeth. They went extinct around 10,000 years ago, likely due to changing climates and the disappearance of their prey.
These are just a few examples of extinct animals, and there are many more species that have disappeared throughout Earth's history.